Dill leaves are otherwise known as Sabsige Soppu in Kannada which has a special place in the special diet and is a rich source of calcium. These leaves come from the healthy green vegetables family, but are not as popular as the other greens because of the strong pungent smell. The masala's when combined with toor dal make this North Karnataka dish an intoxicating combo with rice or roti.
Recipe Type: Dal varieties
1. Pressure cook toor dal, dill, a pinch of turmeric and 2 cups of water till just soft and don’t cook it mushy.Wash and cop dill discarding the thick fibrous stalks.
2. Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seed. When the mustard starts dancing around, add cumin seeds, garlic and hing.
3. Add the chopped onion, a pinch of turmeric and some salt. Cook till onion turns soft.When done, add chopped tomatoes.
4. When it gets mushed up, add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to it and fry till done. Now add chilli powder, dhania-jeera powder and turmeric powder and just give a stir.
5. Add chopped dill leaves and cook on simmering the flame till done. Add in the cooked dal to the dill mixture and pour some amount of water to it and bring to a boil. Check for salt.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice and also with roti/chapati.
Roti or rice.
Fry cumin seeds and curry leaves in a little ghee and add it to the dal.
Linking to Srivalli's CCC Challenge Group
Technorati Tags: Dill leaves recipes,Dal recipes,Karnataka recipes,Sabsige soppu recipes,North Karnatake recipes,Healthy recipes,Diet recipes.